A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Thursday 15 November 2007

Reply to anonymouse

Dear A. Nonny-Mouse,
There was a certain amount of research went into this book, but many of the plant tinders are of my own finding. I cannot say whether or not colonials or Aboriginals used any of the tinders I found, but I would imagine that if a person had a need or an enquiring mind, and then it is possible that they too may have found and used these tinders. The Australian Aboriginals certainly used the yacca plant for carrying fire, and as there are yacca plants in all states of Australia there was probably no need to go looking for any other plants. The colonials in Australia must have used something, but I have found no info to suggest that they used any of the plant tinders that I have discovered. The fungus and punk wood used in Britain, Europe, and the New World is a matter of historical fact. Fungus tinders in Europe and Britain were sold uncharred, and were soaked in potassium nitrate, but this method was likely only used in populated areas and I would imagine used more in the city than in villages. This is not mentioned in my book because I did not see the need. Nor is the method of soaking tinder material in urine, because I have had no positive results by this method. All the tinders work very well once charred, and this is the easiest and most practical method to use. If for some reason one were to run out of charred tinder (and you should always keep some spare in your pack, and remember to make more when your tinderbox supply is getting low), there are emergency historical methods mentioned in my book.

No comments: