A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 10 October 2009

Authenticity Documentation.



18th century round-frock. The round frock is reversible being the same at the back as it is in the front.
The Farmer. Wearing a work frock in about 1760 (1780)  (Date updated by Capt. Tom 19th March 2010).



Dutch Boy Smoking. Wearing a similar work frock but with a button closure at the neck. In Cymru (Wales) this style was worn by Shepherds and was known as a coat-frock. The button front could extend anywhere from waist to almost reaching the lower skirt. Unfortunately I have to date not been able to date the Welsh/Cymru frock.


Voltair still wearing his old style clothes in a later period. Look at the short waistcoat on the other man.





A frock coat? Whatever it is it has not got the common large cuffs. It has no fold back cuffs at all.





Same here, and note the leggings in use in Europe.






Two similar coats with cuffs.







Another Dutch picture showing a work frock similar to the English frocks, though this one is worn under another garment.




Yesterday I posted the photo of Joy Spirit Hawk & White Wolf on the "Frontier Folk" forum and for doing so recieved a stream of verbal abuse. Why do I mention this? So that you do not make the mistake of joining that forum and end up with a bad impression of 18th century Living Historians! We are not all like that, thank goodness and in fact I had no idea that anyone in our fraternity was like that! There are some good people on that forum, but for me the rudeness and abusive comments of the few have spoilt it for me.




Apart from the abuse I was asked exactly what area in the New World did I think this mode of dress was worn. I get this question from time to time so let us look at it very quickly.




Here is an Englishman that has just arrived in the New World, where has he arrived in the New World? Does it matter? No of course it does not matter. It does not matter that he may have landed in New England and then travelled to Ohio country, he is still wearing the same clothes that he left England in, the same clothes he arrived in.




He or she does not change their clothing style from place to place, and what makes anyone think that in 1740 there was different styles of clothing for different areas of the New World! Different nationalities in different areas maybe, but it is the people who set the clothing style, not the place.




I don't care if this chap arrives in a work frock or a frock-coat, that is what he has and that is what he will wear until it wears out or he finds another reason for changing it.




There was no American style in 1740, there were no Americans in 1740, I mean this was still English/French settlements. Even if you were born there at this time, would you think yourself American or the nationality of your family?There were native peoples who had been there for centuries before the whites arrived and they sure as I am sitting here did not think of themselves as Americans!




There were Dutch, English, French, Swiss, and many other nations. Some had similar dress styles to others, some did not. But whatever they wore it was nothing whatsoever to do with the area they settled in in the early to mid 18th century. Do not let people fob you off with this question of area. What it probably means is that they don't know!




Another recommendation or something to at least think about. When you are interpreting a particular period, say 1740, do not expect everything that you wear and use to have come from this period. If I was born in 1680, then by 1700 I am 20 years of age. I am wearing 17th century clothing and I have 17th century items of equipment. I leave for the New World and I still have the same clothing and items of equipment.




I become a hunter/trapper, I do not purchase new clothing. I like this style of long weskit and do not want to change this style. It is now 1740, I am 60 years of age. I am wearing French fly breaches, Indian style leggings and centre seam woodland moccasins. I still wear a long weskit and a work frock, and I still have most of the 17th century items I brought over with me.




My fusil is now a flintlock, but nothing else has changed. I may have lost my clasp knife and replaced it with an 18th century style but why would I change anything else if it still worked?




It is now 1760, and I am still dressed the same. I am an old man and fixed in my ways and am not about to start wearing a shorter weskit and fall front breeches. My clothing is made for me if I need new clothing and it is made the way I like it.
Interesting information in Old English Household Life By Gertrude Jekyll at: http://books.google.com/books?id=dINkv8BLpu4C&pg=PA132&lpg=PA132&dq=English+labourer

Watson and The Shark.
By John Singleton Copley.
This is the painting recommended by Capt. Tom in the message below. Note the frocks the seamen are wearing.



If you have any comments please share. we/I still have a lot to learn and we won't learn if we don't share our knowledge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT SITE, SOUND INFO, GOOD SHOW MATES!

As for the pic of the farmer fending off the military "gentleman" from seducing his daughter, its from about 1780, I've seen the date for this a long time ago.

Take a look at the painting by Benjamin West, Watson and the shark. You will notice some of the seamen, and this is the 1740s, are wearing work frocks.

Capt Tom, writing from North American waters

Keith said...

Capt.Tom, thank you so much for the update on the farmer image, very much appreciated.
I have seen the painting by Benjamin West thanks it is very good.
I am not dissapointed about the later date on the Farmer image, because it works both ways. It does confirm that this early frock was in use later, and in fact well into the 19th century.
Thanks again, I hope you will visit often.
Regards.