A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Monday 25 October 2010

My Boat.

I have finally got my boat out for repair. It has been stored down at the old fort for far too long. This boat was built many years ago by the late Arthur William Baker, a very close personal friend and family friend. It was built to explore the Great Lakes, and every winter Arthur and I would make the run down to the Lakes and spend a week or two travelling and camping.
The boat needs more work than I anticipated, so it will keep me busy for a while. Rains stopped work yesterday, and it is overcast today. I need some good sunshine for a change, something I am normally not fond of.
This boat was built to a period style, though the exact name escapes me for present. It handled well on the Great Lakes taking us far up little tributaries that only a canoe could possibly navigate. This boat is about 16 feet long, and a dream to handle by one or two persons loaded or unloaded. I am looking forward to getting it back in the water again.




8 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Could it be a "pireau" or "pirogue" of Louisiana swamp fame?

Keith said...

Not sure Gorges. I do recall that different areas had different styles, but I had always thought of the pirogue as a dugout made from poplar. I still have a lot to learn about boats!

Ramana Rajgopaul said...

I would give an arm and a leg to be able to go with an expert like you on a boating trip in that.

Keith said...

Ramana my friend, it would not cost you that much.
Keith.

Unknown said...

i would love to join you my friend on a river voyage,it would be fun..good luck ..

Keith said...

Yes Grimbo it would be fun, and I would love to have you join me.

Martin said...

Hi Loup!

It looks like a pirogue to me. (That's pronounced "PIRO" for anyone from the North; like North of Baton Rouge. Ha, ha!)

Yes, the Arcadians (Cajuns) originals were made from one log, but as suitable trees became scarce, sawed planks, some nails, and a little caulking resulted in a shallow draft boat with a pretty respectable cargo capacity that was perfect for poling through the bayou, or hauling a load up or down river.

Some of the best times I've had were on "float trips" here in Indiana.

Martin

Keith said...

Many thanks for the information Martin, much appreciated.
Regards.