A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Saturday 11 February 2012

18th Century Jack Knives. For Stephen's Younger Brother.

My Custom Gully Knife.

I got a great email from a Lady in America today, telling me that her 14 year old son Stephen was a big fan of this blog. It is always a pleasure to get positive feedback from followers, but for me it is especially good to hear that some young chap is taking an interest. Stephen is into primitive fire lighting, & his Mother has just bought him my Primitive Fire Lighting book.

Stephen's younger brother is looking forward to getting his first Jack/clasp knife, so I thought I would post some of the 18th century style Jack knives that I have. Two types below came from Dixie Gun Works many years ago. They are good solid knives, and far less expensive than modern style knives.

 My first Jack Knife was one of those multi blade Scout knives. I was really pleased with it at the time, but as I got older I came to appreciate the more simpler and slender lines of a single bladed folder.

I think that a knife is one of the most important tools you will ever own, and well worth taking the time to make sure you choose the right one. Like me I have no doubt that many of you have had several knives in your time, that is the way it goes when you lack the experience. Further down the track I now know what I need and want, though it does not stop me from lusting after other knives that I see.









These lower Barlow style knives I purchased from Dixie Gun Works. Someone commented a while ago that my Jack knife was so shiny, and I obviously did not use it much. Well as you can see I have two. The lower less shiny one is the one I use and carry with me on treks.

4 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Now, those are knives with character!

Keith said...

I guess they have Gorges, but I still hanker after a plain wood handled one. I am going to have a go at making one.
Keith.

Unknown said...

"Someone commented a while ago that my Jack knife was so shiny, and I obviously did not use it much."

That's a strange comment,
what if your like me ex military or just "Respect" you gear and keep it clean, Like you said a knife is one of the most important tools a woodsrunner has!

Keith said...

Quite so Glen. But I guess over the years like most tools they tend to get scratched & take on a certain patina.
Regards, Keith.