A LIVING HISTORY BLOG.

18TH CENTURY LIVING HISTORY IN AUSTRALIA.

Friday 18 January 2013

Hemp Rope Arrived.

My hemp rope finally arrived. It has a very strong scent, almost like sheep. I could not figure it out for a while then realised it reminded me not only of sheep, but also of a Grocer shop I used to frequent as a kid. Back then the grocer shop was where you went for dry goods, beans, peas, and a large variety of grains and flour. It all came in large sacks and you purchased by the measure. I used to love the scent in that store.

In the 18th century in Virginia it was apparently compulsory by law to grow hemp.  "17th Century America, farmers in Virginia, Massachusetts and Connecticut were ordered by law to grow Indian hemp. By the early 18th century, a person could be sentenced to jail if they weren’t growing hemp on their land! Hemp was considered to be legal tender. For over 200 years in colonial America, hemp was currency that one could use to pay their taxes with!"
http://www.hemp.com/history-of-hemp/


My hemp rope.

Women employed to beat the hemp into fibres. By William Hogarth 18th century.

Fibres of the hemp plant.

No comments: